The Pipefitter Helper will assist skilled craftsperson(s) by performing supportive duties as directed and will work under immediate supervision. Assist in planning, lay-out, installation, testing, and repair of all types of piping systems in accordance with all applicable plans, specifications, codes, and industry standards. Work in other crafts at levels appropriate to training and skills as requested by supervision. Must learn and understand all safety hazards related to the work and learn to safely and effectively use or operate work related tools and equipment. Will be required to work in a plant operations or a construction jobsite setting.
*The following are intended as general illustrations of the work in this job class and are not all-inclusive for this position.
- Clean work area and restock supplies and materials as necessary
- Assist Pipefitter in lifting, positioning, and securing of materials during installation
- Perform minor maintenance and cleaning activities
- Assist Pipefitter in installation of all types of piping by learning to use appropriate hand and power tools
- Cut or drill holes, mount pipe hangers and brackets, perform other routine duties as directed
- Load, transport, unload and furnish pipefitter with materials, tools, equipment and supplies
- Learn to read and understand plans and specifications
- Assist other craft workers as needed
- Must be able to push/pull, lift, or carry up to 50 lbs., but may occasionally push/pull, lift, or carry up to 100 lbs.
- Subject to repetitive use of hands/arms, and legs
- Hand/eye coordination
- Must be able to communicate (hear, comprehend, and speak) to safely perform work
- Will need to be able to perform sedentary to heavy work
- May operate hand and power tools (electric, gas, and pneumatic) of all types with proper training and authorization
- Climb and maintain balance on steel/wood framework, stairs, ladders and scaffolds
- Required to use hands to grasp, lift, handle, carry or feel objects on a frequent basis
- Position may require prolonged bending/twisting, walking, crawling, kneeling, reaching overhead, squatting, pushing /pulling, or standing and lifting
- Must be able to walk on uneven surfaces, muddy conditions, loose rock, loose/soft sand, etc.
- May be required to work in confined spaces
- Will be exposed to adverse weather conditions (Heat, Cold, Rain, Etc.)
- Must have the ability to communicate effectively with management/ supervision
- Work at various tempos, and concentrate amid distractions
- Decision making skills necessary
- Detail-oriented; must be able to remember, examine, and observe details