Maintains behavior and compliance with Safety and Health Standards through direct intervention with the Managers and Supervisors they serve. Has the authority to identify, correct and report behaviors and/or conditions which may jeopardize Cajun’s goal of a safe and healthful workplace. Actively pursues corrective measures in anticipation of hazard. The Project Safety Technician must notify jobsite supervision when personnel on the jobsite deviate from any safety rule or procedure and insure they follow company safety standards; set a personal example by following all safety rules and procedures. The safety technician must also work closely with all craft personnel and follow all client and company standards relating to the wearing of personnel safety equipment including clothing, shoes, protective equipment and respiratory equipment. Additional responsibilities include:
- Assistance in Pre-job Planning beginning with support to our Estimators and Project Managers. Pre-job Planning with the Superintendent will continue throughout the job before new activities begin.
- Monitoring, evaluating and reporting on the safety and health performance of Assistant Superintendents to the Superintendent and Manager to whom they report.
- Enforcing safety and health standards: minimum OSHA plus Client and Cajun.
- Enforcing orientation and training that will maintain our Zero Injury Goal and meet Cajun, Client and Government requirements.
- Monitoring and evaluating the use of recognition awards by the Superintendent to reward goal-directed employee behavior.
- Enforcing Cajun’s Alcohol and Substance Abuse Policy.
- Training and monitoring Pre-task Planning at the project using Pre-job Planning.
- Maintaining emergency response, medical and first aid services at each job-site.
- Investigating and reporting on all serious accidents and near-miss accidents, in addition to the Superintendent’s initial investigation. This includes all disabling injuries and any accidents or near misses with that reasonable potential.
- The project safety technician must complete all required site inspections and audits.
The person who occupies this position must not pose a direct threat to the health or safety of such individual or others in the workplace. This means that the individual must not pose a significant risk of substantial harm to the health or safety of the individual or others that cannot be eliminated or reduced by reasonable accommodation. The above description shall not be construed as a complete listing of all miscellaneous, incidental or similar duties, which may be required from day to day. CAJUN CONSTRUCTORS, INC. utilizes the multi-skill concept and expects the employee to perform other job disciplines.
- Must adhere to safety protocol, and work in a drug-free environment
- Must have at least one year of experience in the industrial/commercial construction industry and have a general understanding of the craft work being performed
- Must have knowledge of safety rules and regulations and learn client and company policy
- Knowledge and understanding of MSDS sheets necessary
- Position may require working in all weather conditions
- High-noise environment
- Working in plant operating conditions, including possible emergency situations; may be exposed to fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals
- Regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts; may be working around construction machinery
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Subject to repetitive use of hands/arms, and legs
- Hand/eye coordination
- Hearing and comprehension is necessary for giving and receiving directions to perform work and/or safety policy
- Will be performing tasks involving physical labor on construction projects
- Climb and maintain balance on steel/wood framework, stairs, ladders and scaffolds
- Required to use hands to grasp, lift, handle, carry or feel objects on a frequent basis
- Position may require prolonged bending/twisting, walking, crawling, kneeling, reaching overhead, squatting, pushing /pulling, or standing and lifting
- May assist other craft workers as needed
- Must be able to manipulate and traverse uneven terrain, ladders, multi-floor buildings with no elevator, pipe bands, vessels and structures
- Must have the ability to talk and communicate effectively with management/ supervision
- Will need to be able to perform sedentary to heavy work
- Work at various tempos, and concentrate amid distractions
- Decision making skills necessary
- Detail-oriented; must be able to remember, examine, and observe details