The Project Superintendent will manage and control assigned projects, including overseeing field operations, site safety, productivity, schedule, and quality of work, and will work closely with contractor, supplier, and Project Manager. Directs and supervises activities of workers engaged in the construction process. Confers with and directs supervisory personnel and subcontractors engaged in planning and executing work procedures, interpreting specifications, and coordinating various phases of construction to prevent delays. Must learn and understand all safety hazards related to the work and learn to safely and effectively use or operate work related tools and equipment. Will be required to work in a plant operations or construction jobsite setting.
*The following are intended as general illustrations of the work in this job class and are not all-inclusive for this position.
- Assemble members of organization (supervisory, clerical, engineering and other workers) at start of project
- Assist project management in monthly cost projections
- Confer with management personnel to establish production, safety and quality control
- Confer with supervisory, engineering personnel, inspectors, and suppliers of tolls and materials to resolve construction problems and improve construction methods
- Confer with supervisory personnel and labor representatives to resolve complaints and grievances within work force
- Coordinate with project management and area safety supervisor to manage accidents/incidents
- Coordinate production activities with procurement, maintenance, safety and quality control activities to obtain optimum production and utilization of human resources, machines, and equipment
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with subcontractors, owners, designers, etc.
- Develop hazard analysis with project management and area safety supervisor
- Develop and implement operating methods and procedures designed to eliminate operating problems and improve job quality
- Ensure subcontractors have project adequately staffed and supervised and that sufficient materials and equipment are available to maintain job progress
- Inspect work in progress to ensure that workmanship conforms to specifications and adherence to construction schedules
- Work closely with the project managers monitoring job schedules and job costs
- Work closely with Assistant Superintendent to develop skills needed for the next step of management
- Communicate and coordinate subcontractors to operate at the highest level and meet Cajun’s expectations
- Assist other craft workers as needed
- Must be able to lift up to 25 lbs., but may occasionally lift up to 50 lbs.
- Hearing and comprehension is necessary for giving and receiving directions
- Will need to perform sedentary to heavy work
- Will operate office equipment of all types
- Climb and maintain balance on steel/wood framework, stairs, ladders and scaffolds
- Required to use hands to grasp, lift, handle, carry or feel objects on a frequent basis
- Position may require prolonged bending/twisting, walking, reaching overhead, squatting, sitting or standing and lifting
- Must be able to manipulate and traverse uneven terrain, ladders, and multi-floor buildings with no elevator
- Must be able to walk on uneven surfaces, muddy conditions, loose rock, loose/soft sand, etc.
- Will be exposed to adverse weather conditions (Heat, Cold, Rain, Etc.)
- Vision requirements include close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus
- Ability to drive cars/trucks as needed
- Must have the ability to communicate effectively with management/ supervision, field workers, as well as owner or owner representative
- Talking and reading & writing comprehension is necessary for giving and receiving directions to perform work and/or safety policy
- Ability to use math/complete calculations
- Work at various tempos, and concentrate amid distractions
- Decision making skills necessary
- Detail-oriented; must be able to remember, examine, and observe details
- Requires strong leadership and motivational skills and ability to serve as a mentor