The Laborer performs manual labor tasks associated with many facets of the construction job site. Responsible for producing high quality work, safely and productively at all times, and providing feedback to ensure all materials, tools, equipment and information is available for the work. Looks for opportunities for improvement in all tasks, means and methods regarding the work, and is willing to learn from others. Must learn and understand all safety hazards related to the work and also learn to safely and effectively use or operate work related tools and equipment. Will be required to work in a plant operations or construction jobsite setting.
*The following are intended as general illustrations of the work in this job class and are not all-inclusive for this position.
- Perform general clean-up
- Dig footings with hand tools
- Back filing
- Load and unload materials
- Strip concrete forms
- Operate power tools, such as vibrators, compactors, jackhammers, or chipping guns
- Clean and prepare sites, dig trenches, set braces to support the sides of excavations, clean up rubble and debris
- Perform other physical tasks requiring minimum skill and/or experience
- Assist other craft workers as needed
- Must be able to push/pull, lift, or carry up to 50 lbs., but may occasionally push/pull, lift, or carry up to 100 lbs.
- Subject to repetitive use of hands/arms, and legs
- Hand/eye coordination
- Must be able to communicate (hear, comprehend, and speak) to safely perform work
- Will need to be able to perform sedentary to heavy work
- May operate hand and power tools (electric, gas, and pneumatic) of all types with proper training and authorization
- Climb and maintain balance on steel/wood framework, stairs, ladders and scaffolds
- Required to use hands to grasp, lift, handle, carry or feel objects on a frequent basis
- Position may require prolonged bending/twisting, walking, crawling, kneeling, reaching overhead, squatting, pushing /pulling, or standing and lifting
- Must be able to walk on uneven surfaces, muddy conditions, loose rock, loose/soft sand, etc.
- May be required to work in confined spaces
- Will be exposed to adverse weather conditions (Heat, Cold, Rain, Etc.)
- May need to wear a respirator
- Must have the ability to talk and communicate effectively with management/ supervision
- Work at various tempos, and concentrate amid distractions
- Decision making skills necessary
- Detail-oriented; must be able to remember, examine, and observe details