The Construction Equipment Mechanic will repair and maintain construction machinery and mechanical equipment such as engines, motors and production machines, and equipment.
Required Experience and Skills:
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); plus one to three years years of related experience and /or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
*The following are intended as general illustrations of the work in this job class and are not all-inclusive for this position.
- Observe mechanical devices in operation and listen to their sounds to locate causes of trouble
- Dismantle devices to gain access to and remove defective parts
- Examine form and texture of parts to detect imperfections
- Inspect used parts to determine changes in dimensional requirements
- Adjust functional parts of devices and control instruments
- Repair or replace defective parts
- Install special functional and structural parts in devices
- Lubricate, maintain, and clean parts as needed
- Start and operate devices to test their performance
- Set up and operate drill press, grinder, and other metalworking tools to make and repair parts
- Weld, cut, and grind as needed
- Repair electrical equipment
- Assist other workers as needed
- Must be able to lift up to 25 lbs., but may occasionally lift up to 50 lbs.
- Hearing and comprehension is necessary for giving and receiving directions
- Will need to perform sedentary to heavy work
- Will operate office equipment of all types
- Climb and maintain balance on steel/wood framework, stairs, ladders and scaffolds
- Required to use hands to grasp, lift, handle, carry or feel objects on a frequent basis
- Position may require prolonged bending/twisting, walking, reaching overhead, squatting, sitting or standing and lifting
- Must be able to manipulate and traverse uneven terrain, ladders, and multi-floor buildings with no elevator
- Must be able to walk on uneven surfaces, muddy conditions, loose rock, loose/soft sand, etc.
- Will be exposed to adverse weather conditions (Heat, Cold, Rain, Etc.)
- Vision requirements include close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus
- Must be able to drive cars, trucks, forklifts and other equipment (Clean driving record is required)
- Must have the ability to communicate effectively with management/ supervision
- Will need to be able to perform sedentary to heavy work
- Ability to write and use math/complete calculations
- Work at various tempos, and concentrate amid distractions
- Decision making skills necessary
- Detail-oriented; must be able to remember, examine, and observe details