The Estimator is responsible for the preparation of proposals including cost, technical and commercial responses. Will provide analysis of blueprints, specifications, and other documentation to prepare time, cost, and labor estimates for products, projects, or services. Must learn and understand how to interpret safety hazards related to the work and effectively implement a construction strategy. The Estimator may be required to work in a plant operations or construction jobsite setting.
*The following are intended as general illustrations of the work in this job class and are not all-inclusive for this position.
- Review and understand the bid documents published by the client
- Review data to determine material and labor requirements and prepares itemized lists
- Compute cost factors and prepare estimates used for management purposes such as planning, organizing, and scheduling work; preparing bids; selecting vendors or subcontractors; and determining cost effectiveness
- Consult with clients, vendors, or other individuals to discuss and formulate estimates and resolve issues
- Interface with other individuals in the organization to obtain support and commitment to the cost estimates
- Use estimating procedures and policies
- Conduct a pre-job checklist and defines scope of work
- Coordinate disciplines amongst the estimating team
- Perform multiple types of quantity take-off
- Prepare project bid schedule
- Promote interaction with estimating team by brainstorming constructability of project, maximizing creativity, analyzing production rates, and maximizing indirect costs to reduce duration.
- Prepare technical and commercial approach to proposal cost
- Ensure contract T&Cs are reviewed by appropriate counsel for exceptions or comments.
- Assist others as needed
- Preferred minimum 10+ years estimating experience with industrial construction.
- Must be able to lift up to 25 lbs., but may occasionally lift up to 50 lbs.
- Hearing and comprehension is necessary for giving and receiving directions
- Will need to perform sedentary to heavy work
- Will operate office equipment of all types
- Climb and maintain balance on steel/wood framework, stairs, ladders and scaffolds
- Required to use hands to grasp, lift, handle, carry or feel objects on a frequent basis
- Position may require prolonged bending/twisting, walking, reaching overhead, squatting, sitting or standing and lifting
- Must be able to manipulate and traverse uneven terrain, ladders, and multi-floor buildings with no elevator
- Must be able to walk on uneven surfaces, muddy conditions, loose rock, loose/soft sand, etc.
- Will be exposed to adverse weather conditions (Heat, Cold, Rain, Etc.)
- Vision requirements include close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus
- Ability to drive cars/trucks as needed
- Must have the ability to communicate effectively with management/ supervision
- Talking and reading & writing comprehension is necessary for giving and receiving directions to perform work and/or safety policy
- Ability to use math/complete calculations
- Work at various tempos, and concentrate amid distractions
- Decision making skills necessary
- Detail-oriented; must be able to remember, examine, and observe details